Thursday 12 April 2012

Manners matter

Excuse me for this post, I am going to rant!  I have noticed that there is a movement towards throwing common courtesy out the window.  Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age, but it seems that every day of my life I come across someone who believes it is okay to treat others around them as though they are insignificant.

It's not just the younger generations either; it seems to be proliferating from everywhere.  My concern, though, is our children.  I believe it is VITAL for parents to start a child's life with ENFORCING please, thank you, excuse me and sorry.  I have capitalised the two words above because I feel strongly that it has to be done and done without relent.  Every single time a child is offered or asks for something there needs to be a mandatory please or thank you in order for the deal to be closed, or complacency will set in.  Children learn by repetition and we are their first and most important teachers.

I may sound over-dramatic but without a foundation there is nothing to build on.  There is nothing wrong with respecting others, it isn't infringing on their rights as human beings (that seems to be an excuse for not having to do many things these days) in fact isn't "treating others as we wish to be treated" making the world a better place for all of us?

A lady (???) bumped into me last week and she looked at me with contempt.  I was floored, I was wholly expecting a "sorry" I even had the words "no worries" ready to speak.  Okay, she may have been having the worst day of her life and I try to remember that every time someone disappoints me in the manners department, but come on! 

These little things make the people who help us, serve us and put themselves out for us deserve our appreciation and respect.  I would love to see a waiter take a plate away from a diner who didn't say thank you! 

If my 3 oldest boys don't spontaneously give a please, thank you and excuse me when it is necessary there are consequences.  Hamish needs reminding now and again, but he has a bit of time to get there.  I want my boys to be grateful for everything they are given; tangible or intangible.  Every gift, opportunity or experience.  We are all on this earth together, I think it's time people stopped thinking they inhabit the planet on their own.


Sorry if I have been too political.

4 comments:

  1. Yay Rach!! The last two times I've been to the shops (Aldi and Coles) I have had to warn my kids that there were lots of people in a bad mood there within three seconds of walking through the door. Pushing past me, looking irritated to have to step around my trolley and kids to get something... yikes! I made sure I gave my warning loudly enough so that those nearby could hear. I was speaking with shock and surprise, not just narkily (alright, maybe a *little* narkily...) What's the deal??! No sorries, no excuse me pleases, nothing.

    My fave thing to do at school is hand out sheets but only let go when I hear a Thank you pop out of someone's mouth. So many of my kidlets step away and the paper they thought they were holding is still in my hand! :)
    Donna W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Donna! My favourite is when you hold a door open for someone and you don't get a thank you!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree once again with your awesome post!! Love reading your comments Rachel. M-J

    ReplyDelete